Activities for Youth
Find out what’s baffling scientists and killing forests now!
Play Sudden Oak Death puzzles, games and other Youth Activities here.
- Can My Tree Catch The Flu PDF – This series of interactive and engaging activities helps increase youth awareness of Sudden Oak Death.Â To provide an analogy to how a tree catches this disease, participants are introduced to a familiar situation â€“ catching the flu.Â All activities were initially developed for a middle-school level audience but may easily be adapted to other ages and levels.
- Trees in Trouble PDF – Information on Oak Communities, the causes and effects of Sudden Oak Death, as well as methods of transport support these student activities. The grade-specific activities help students learn about native oaks and ways they can help stop the spread of Sudden Oak Death.
- Junior Ranger Guide PDF – This activity guide explains the ins and outs of Sudden Oak Death in a dynamic and engaging way, blending games, maps, and activity prompts with kid-friendly background information on the disease.
- Find even more educational activities on other invasive pests at PlantHeros.com
- SOD Fact Sheet – Information on the detection, spread, impact, and treatment for the disease.
- SOD Sanitation Guide – Cleaning recommendations to prevent the spread of P. ramorum.
- Fact vs. Fiction – Five common misconceptions about Sudden Oak Death and the pathogen that causes it.
- 2011 Sudden Oak Death Brochure – Information about SOD in the wild, in nurseries, and in your community.
- 2010 Sudden Oak Death Brochure – Information about symptoms and management of SOD.
- SOD Poster – An introduction to SOD, oak and other host symptoms, and what you can do to help control the spread.
- Trailhead Poster with CDF logo as a PDF and Word doc – SOD information and guidelines for hikers.
- SOD Tribal Poster – Information on SOD and tribal concerns for traditional plant gatherers.
- Spanish Guidelines for Forest Collectors – Precautions to prevent the spread of SOD in Spanish.
- Spanish Fact Sheet – Information on the potential risk areas, spread, and consequences of SOD in Spanish.
- Spanish Guidelines for Arborists – Guidelines for minimizing the spread of the pathogen in Spanish.
Virtual Training: Phytophthora ramorum, A Short Course – Three PowerPoint presentations available for download and use.
- Module 1 (4,756 KB): Introduction to Phytophthora ramorum and Sudden Oak Death
- Module 2 (4,492 KB): Symptom Recognition, Diagnosis, and Sampling
- Module 3 (3,183 KB): Regulations and Management of Phytophthora ramorum These are PowerPoint presentations, so you must have the program on your computer to view the modules.
USDA Phytophthora ramorum Educate to Detect (PRED) Program – PowerPoint presentation (slides and script) on P. ramorum (includes background information, how to recognize symptoms, how to submit a sample for lab diagnosis)
Additional nursery-related training materials are available here.