Permits Information

To research P. ramorum, you must obtain a scientific research permit. Each type of public space has specific conditions; read these carefully. All parks require that you contact them at least one day in advance prior to your intended collecting trip.

National Parks in California

Permits issued are project specific, not blanket permits to conduct research in all parks. Each project and park that you want to collect at requires a separate permit. Applications may be made on-line and usually take 30-90 days to process. Make note of the park contact information provided during the application process (available on the “Park Info” page of the website). Questions related to the status of applications submitted through the Internet should be made directly to the park research coordinator who is identified on the park info page of the website.

More information can be found at:

For Internet-related application and information problems, contact Bill Commins at: or 202-513-7166. Alternatively, contact Tim Goddard at: 970-225-3543.

California State Parks

In most instances, blanket permits can be obtained that allow access to all State Parks in California, except for Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park, and Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, where a Redwood National and State Parks scientific collecting permit is required. To obtain a Redwood National and State Parks scientific collecting permit, contact Valerie Gizinski at: 707-465-7789.

Application and Permit: see attached PDF

More information can be found at:

Contact: Arthur M. Fong
Address: Department of Parks and Recreation, Natural Resources Division, P.O. Box 942896, Sacramento, CA 94296-0001
Phone: 916-653-9454; Email:

Regional Parks

For East Bay Area Regional Parks go to:

For other regional parks contact parks directly about permission for collecting P. ramorum host material; some will issue their own permit.

Oregon Parks

Application: See attached PDF
Contact: Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Attn: Natural Resource Specialist, 725 Summer Street, NE, Suite C, Salem, Oregon 97301

Pathogen Movement/Research Permit

If you have a collecting permit, you are also required to have a permit to transport or mail your samples back to the lab, and to do P. ramorum research. Frequent dialogue between the permit requestors and issuers will expedite the permit process and make it easier for all. The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) frequently work together to issue permits, so doing both inter/intra state permit requests simultaneously is recommended.

California Intrastate Movement

Contact CDFA’s Plant Health and Pest Prevention Services or your state’s appropriate agriculture regulator if you will be moving quarantined material intrastate. To transport materials within California, obtain Permit 66-026. A State may not always request the same level of information as the USDA for research permits as opposed to commercial permits, but you should be prepared nonetheless.

More information can be found at:
Contact: Stephen Brown; Email:; Phone: 916-654-1017
Permit: 66-026

Interstate Movement

Contact USDA-APHIS to obtain Permit 526 if transporting cultures, suspect samples, infested plant material material between states, importing material from another country, or containing/manipulating P. ramorum in the laboratory or greenhouse.

More information can be found at:
Phone: 877-770-5990
Permit: 526 (form), 3 (instructions)